Albuquerque is a fascinating city boasting modern urban neighborhoods and charming historic districts. The biggest city in New Mexico, Albuquerque is located in the desert and offers visitors a unique mix of metropolitan life and desert scenery. In a single day, you could stand in awe of a historic building, learn about local culture and Native Americans at the cultural center, and take a hike to observe the impressive natural environment. There really is no shortage of fun and interesting attractions in Albuquerque - the most difficult decision will be deciding what to include in your trip itinerary!
A weekend in Albuquerque
While you could spend much longer than a weekend in Albuquerque, a couple of days is plenty of time to get a good taste of the city. We strongly recommend making the most of local services like Bounce suitcase storage in Albuquerque so that you can maximize your time for exploring. Nobody wants to waste hours waiting with their luggage!
If you’re not sure where to start, here are some must-see attractions when visiting Albuquerque.
- New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science - Opened in 1986, this museum is great for all ages. Learn about dinosaurs, black holes, and more!
- Sandia Peak Tramway - This attraction is an absolute must-do when in Albuquerque. There’s no better way to take in a destination than from above and this aerial tramway provides incredible views.
- Indian Pueblo Cultural Center - This center is all about preserving Pueblo Indian Culture. Head here to learn more about the Pueblo people and admire their impressive art.
Got a late check-in or early check-out? No problem! Bounce luggage storage in Albuquerque will take care of all your things! This service caters to travelers, offering affordable, flexible storage that will fit in with any itinerary. You can guarantee that your things will be kept safe while you are off exploring, removing all of the stress from your vacation.
Off the beaten path in Albuquerque
Albuquerque is a diverse city and its offerings go much deeper than the most popular tourist attractions. Get off the beaten path and you will be rewarded with unforgettable experiences.
To appreciate a more authentic Albuquerque, add these places to your itinerary.
- Musical Highway - Roads have rumble strips for safety purposes, helping people to stay on the road if they get distracted, but what if they also provided entertainment? Those along an eastbound section of Route 66 do just that! Drive over them at 45 miles per hour and listen to ‘America the Beautiful.
- Burt’s Tiki Lounge - This bar, located in Downtown Albuquerque, is a favorite amongst the locals. There’s regular live music and the cocktails are cheap!
- Tinkertown Museum - Many people drive past this attraction, but if you’re headed out to Sandia Peak, make sure you stop. It’s a quirky museum showcasing wooden folk art, however it is closed through the winter.
What to do alone in Albuquerque
Albuquerque is a safe and interesting city, making it perfect for solo travelers. Local services like Bounce bag storage in Albuquerque make it easy for people to visit the city on their own as they take care of your bags when you can’t, freeing you up to do whatever you please.
If you find yourself in Albuquerque alone, make the most of it and do some exploring. Here are some places that are definitely worth a visit.
- ABQ BioPark - Get some fresh air with a trip to the BioPark. There’s a river, zoo, and botanical gardens, so plenty to keep you occupied on a nice afternoon!
- Petroglyph National Monument - This 17-mile track is a great place for a hike. You can get active, learn more about the area and enjoy the views.
- Albuquerque Museum - Located in Old Town, this museum boasts an impressive collection of art and history exhibitions.
The best souvenirs in Albuquerque
It can be difficult to find the perfect souvenir or gift, but we have you covered. For typical tourist fare like hats and keychains, head to Old Town Emporium. You’ll find something for everyone. The Breaking Bad Store is perfect for fans of the show, while Rio Grande Trading is a great option for those seeking unique jewelry. Finally, Southwest Indulgences is hard to beat if you’re looking for some sweet treats to take home to loved ones!