Atlantic City is a resort city located in New Jersey, USA. Known for gambling, high-end resorts, and world-class entertainment, it is often viewed as Las Vegas’ smaller east-side sister. While it may not be as large as Sin City, you will still be guaranteed all of the glitz and glamour one would associate with this type of destination. From expensive retail stores to luxury spas, Atlantic City also has one thing that Vegas does not: beaches! There’s no doubt that any Atlantic City vacation will be a memorable one.
A weekend in Atlantic City
Only a two-hour drive from New York, Atlantic City is a popular destination for a weekend getaway. If you’re looking to get out of the city and enjoy some extravagance, make your way to this Jersey entertainment haven. There’s plenty you can see and do, even if you only have two days. Remember to utilize services like a luggage storage in Atlantic City so that you don’t waste a second of your vacation, especially if you are only in town for a short while.
Wondering what things should be on your Atlantic City weekend itinerary? We have some suggestions.
- Atlantic City Boardwalk - Taking a stroll along this iconic Atlantic City attraction is an absolute must-do. You can admire the views of the water while also soaking in the atmosphere of one of the major hubs in the city.
- Hard Rock Cafe Hotel & Casino - No trip to Atlantic City is complete without a visit to one of the casinos. Hard Rock Cafe is a good option and you might even get lucky on the slot machines!
- Steel Pier - enjoy the rides and carnival games at this unique oceanfront amusement park. Steel Pier is an Atlantic City icon for good reason.
Atlantic City Lockers
If you overdo it on the shopping or just don’t want to waste time heading back and forth to your hotel room, make the most of a luggage locker in Atlantic City. Bounce offers storage for travelers so you won’t be inconvenienced by your belongings and can focus on enjoying your trip. They’ll take care of your belongings, big or small, and work in with your schedule. This way, you can optimize your time in Atlantic City without any hassles.
Off the beaten path in Atlantic City
Much of the focus in Atlantic City is on the man-made attractions: casinos, hotels, shopping centers, spas. There’s a good reason for this, as these attractions are what draw thousands of people to the city every year. That being said, there is more to Atlantic City than initially meets the eye. If you’re looking to see another side of this extravagant destination, try to get back to nature. There’s a couple of good options close to the city that will give you an entirely different perspective.
- Cape May Point State Park - If you’re looking for a place to hike with scenic views, this is it. There’s a range of different trails for different abilities, just make sure you factor in enough time to enjoy the viewpoints.
- Edwin B. Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge - If you’re a bird lover, don’t miss a visit to this National Wildlife Refuge. It has become somewhat of a sanctuary for migratory birds and you are sure to be impressed by some of the species you see.
- Atlantic City aquarium - Take a journey below the waves at this fascinating attraction. Home to over 100 varieties of fish and other marine animals, the aquarium is a great place to encounter the wildlife of New Jersey.
What to do alone in Atlantic City
From suitcase storage in Atlantic City to user-friendly transport systems, the city is well set up to accommodate solo travelers. If you are visiting Atlantic City on your own, make sure to add these to your must-see list.
- Comedy show - If you’re in town on your own and looking for a laugh, head to a comedy show. The one at the Borgata is quite popular, although any show is sure to provide a fun night out!
- Massage - Atlantic City is known for its luxury so why not indulge in a massage at a fancy day spa? There’s no better way to treat yourself.
- Abescon Lighthouse - see New Jersey’s tallest lighthouse in Atlantic City. One of the oldest lighthouses in the country, Abescon is open to the public so you can climb its 200 steps and see the original lens from 1857.
The best souvenirs in Atlantic City
There’s no shortage of souvenir stores in Atlantic City so you should be able to find memorabilia for yourself or gifts for loved ones quite easily. Keep your eyes out at each hotel as they will likely have their own gift shop where you can pick up items like keyrings or shirts. The Boardwalk is also a good place to do some souvenir shopping, with options for standard souvenir items as well as boutiques with more unique pieces.