The capital of Andhra Pradesh, Hyderabad is one of India's biggest cities — which is saying a lot. Established in 1591 by an ambitious Sultan, Hyderabad was intended from the start to be a cultural hub. Mission accomplished. To this day, Hyderabad remains both the economic and cultural heart of the region. Sometimes referred to as the New York of India, Hyderabad is a city that never sleeps. Whether you're looking to explore rich historical attractions or immerse yourself in the vibrant life of the modern city, you can do it all here.
Hyderabad has so much to see and do that it can be overwhelming. Make things easier on yourself by dropping off your bags at a luggage storage service in Hyderabad. Your possessions will be one less thing to worry about as you explore this colorful and vital Indian city.
A weekend in Hyderabad
With only a couple of days in Hyderabad, you'll have to limit your exploration to only the most iconic attractions. And the city has plenty of those. Drop off your bags at a Hyderabad suitcase storage and take in what makes the city so special.
- Charminar is one of the city's most iconic locations. Built in the sixteenth century as a mosque, this impressive structure has some of the most striking architecture in the city. It's a perfect place to enjoy the beauty of Hyderabad's historical heart.
- The Qutb Shahi tombs of Hyderabad's former rulers are also a can't-miss site in the city. These incredible structures combine Indian and Persian influences and make for some stunning photo opportunities in this historic city.
- The heart-shaped lake of Hussain Sagar, with its giant Buddha statue, is another Hyderabad icon. It's the perfect place for boating, sailing, or just enjoying the water views and cooling down on a hot day.
If forced to sum up Hyderabad in a single word, it might be 'lively'. There's always something going on in the sprawling metropolis, and there's plenty to explore. Make the journey easy on yourself by dropping off your bags at a Hyderabad luggage locker. Knowing your belongings will be safely looked after allows you to fully enjoy your time in the city and see as many of its attractions as possible.
Off the beaten path in Hyderabad
There is so much to do in Hyderabad that even though the city gets lots of tourists from India and abroad, it can be relatively easy to escape the crowds. Go beyond the best-known attractions and you'll find lots of lesser-known things to do in the city.
- Hyderabad is a hot city that never gets cold enough to snow. That doesn't mean you can't experience some winter charm. Visit Snow World, a unique amusement park that allows you to play in the snow even in this notoriously warm city. You can ski, sled, and enjoy all kinds of winter attractions, making it a great way to cool off in the summer.
- Ramoji Film City may be the world's biggest film studio. With more than 50 film sets at this one location, Ramoji Film City is a great place to explore the world of Indian cinema and see some of its most iconic sets.
- Balaji Temple, dedicated to the Hindu god Vishnu, is best known for one thing. Every year, thousands of pilgrims come here to pray for US visas. Hyderabad is India's answer to Silicon Valley, and so many well-educated Indians leave the city for a new life in the US. The temple is a fascinating meeting point of ancient tradition and modern-day ambition.
What to do alone in Hyderabad
Traveling solo in Hyderabad allows you to focus only on what you want to see. In a city this vibrant, you'll never feel alone. Whether you're traveling on business or for pleasure, drop off your bags at a Hyderabad luggage storage locker and enjoy the city by yourself.
- Laad Bazaar is one of the city's main markets, and there's always something going on here. The lively market makes a great place to shop for food, souvenirs, jewelry, clothing, and just about anything else.
- Take a break from the frenetic pace at KBR National Park. This park preserves some of Hyderabad's natural surroundings and is home to many endangered species. Its hiking trails are a perfect place to stretch your legs and breathe some fresh air away from the noise of the city.
- Engage in some thrilling outdoor activities with Hyderabad adventure club. This club organizes hiking, climbing, rafting, and other exciting activities in and around the city. It's a perfect way to meet other people and get the adrenaline flowing on your trip.
The best souvenirs in Hyderabad
Hyderabad is known throughout India for its pearls. The traditional center of the pearl trade, the area around Char Kaman is a great place to shop for pearl jewelry and see it being crafted in authentic workshops. Alternatively, you could pick up a sari from Pochampally village, where these traditional Indian garments are woven. Hyderabad is also famous as the home of biryani. You can get biryani packed for travel at Paradise so you can enjoy the taste of India at home.