One of Australia’s biggest cities, Melbourne is also known as one of its most hip and exciting. The capital of the state of Victoria in the southeastern part of the country, this coastal city boasts a population of over five million, meaning you’ll find something to do here no matter what you’re into.
Melbourne is known for its vibrant culture, its street art, and its excellent dining options. It also prides itself on being the coffee capital of the world and is often considered one of the world's most livable cities. With all that going for it, it's no wonder Melbourne welcomes millions of tourists every year to its cafés, restaurants, parks, and galleries. Drop off heavy bags at a Melbourne luggage storage locker and experience the buzz of the city for yourself.
A weekend in Melbourne
10 Best Ways to Experience Melbourne in 2023
Whatever you like to do, chances are good you’ll find it in Melbourne. This city offers art, culture, great restaurants, and incredible scenery to keep you occupied. If you really want to see what makes the city tick, consider hiring a local tour guide for one of these unique Australian experiences. Drop off your bags at a Bounce luggage storage and try one or more of these companies for a fun adventure while you’re in Melbourne.
Best food tour —This Is Melbourne
Melbourne is a city of immigrants, and with so many different cultures meeting, you can be sure it has a rich food culture. This Is Melbourne offers a foodie bucket list tour where you’ll try 10 different restaurants to get a crash course in the city’s best food. The tours vary according to what day you choose, but wherever you go, you’re bound to enjoy some of Melbourne’s most exciting food. Contact them at email@example.com or 61 401 005 582.
Best cruise —Melbourne River Cruises
Melbourne’s waterfront location makes it an ideal place to explore by boat. There are few more relaxing ways to sightsee than traveling over the water and taking in the scenery while a knowledgeable guide explains what you’re seeing. And if you’re looking to explore outside the city, the company also offers a ferry to Williamsburg so you can see a different facet of the region. Contact Melbourne River Cruises at firstname.lastname@example.org or 61 3 8610 2600.
Best kayak tour —Kayak Melbourne
Kayaking is an excellent way not only to burn some calories, but to see a more tranquil side of the city from the water. This company offers kayaking tours of the Yarra River which are open to all ages. Even if you’ve never kayaked before, the company will help you get comfortable in one of the stable boats so you can enjoy yourself and learn a new skill. They offer day and night tours so you can see different facets of the city. Contact them at email@example.com or 61 418 106 427.
Best street art tour —Melbourne Street Tours
Ideal for the artistically inclined, this tour is unique not only in Melbourne but in all of Australia. The tour is run by a street artist, and who better to explain the culture of street art while showing you some of Melbourne’s best examples? You also get to visit a studio where you can meet artists and see them work. If you want to learn more about Melbourne’s cutting-edge artistic culture, this is the way to do it. Contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org or 61 3 9328 5557.
Best crime tour — Melbourne Historical Crime Tours
If you’re keen to learn about a darker side of Melbourne, this is the company for you. History buffs and true crime fans will love the Fitzroy crime tour that takes place every Sunday and lasts for two hours as you explore the underbelly of the city. There are also nightly tours which give you a taste of some of Melbourne’s most blood-chilling tales. Every Saturday, you can also enjoy the Gangsters, Brothels & Lolly Shops tour which tells the tale of organized crime in Melbourne in a highly entertaining way. Book via the website or contact them at email@example.com or 61 422 525 565.
Best tour for sports fans — Melbourne Sports Tours
Sport is something of a national obsession for Australians, and Melbourne is no different from any other city in that regard. Melbourne is known as “the ultimate sports city of the world… Of the decade,” and it isn’t clear to you why, it will be after taking the store. The company offers seven different categories of sporting tours, so you can explore your favorite or learn something new. Contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org or 61 3 8802 4547.
Best walking tours — Melbourne By Foot
If you want to learn more about the history and culture of Melbourne, a walking tour is a fantastic way to do just that. Not only will you get plenty of exercise, but you’ll get a deeper experience of the city by traveling on foot. This company allows you to choose from its existing cultural tour or take a private tour where you can customize the route to see more of what you want and less of what you don’t. Contact them at email@example.com or 61 414 983 600.
Best bike tour —Cycling Vine Tours
Biking allows you to travel further and see more of the city than you otherwise would. Cycling Vine Tours offers unique bike tours that can take you around Melbourne and beyond into the famous food and wine regions that lie outside the city. Choose from half-day or full-day and even multi-day tours that can really let you get to grips with the region. Contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org or 61 407 685 524.
Best bus tour — Melbourne Touring Company
If you prefer to take it easy on your holiday, let Melbourne Touring Company take you around the city and show you all the best sites. These private bus tours offer several options that you can choose from, meaning you can focus on exactly what you most want to see. The knowledgeable guides will make sure you get a better understanding of the city while traveling in comfort in an air-conditioned vehicle. Contact them at email@example.com or 61 422 257 446.
Most unique walking tours — Melbourne Boutique Tours
As the name suggests, this company specializes in offering tours customized to the client’s wishes. You can take a walking tour along the ocean and learn about Melbourne’s famous penguin population. Or you can visit the local wineries and sample some of the best wines Australia has to offer. Tours are limited to small groups, so you get more time to spend in each location and gain a deeper insight into the city and its region. Contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org or 61 3 9393 1377.
Two days in Melbourne isn't nearly enough to see everything the city has to offer. However, it could be enough time to give you a good overview of what there is to see here on future visits. Once you've seen everything Melbourne has to offer, chances are good you'll be eager to return.
- Coffee drinkers rejoice: Melbourne takes coffee incredibly seriously. Voted as the city that has the best coffee in the world, the baristas of Melbourne are committed to maintaining this reputation. You'll find great coffee just about anywhere, but Patricia is well known as one of the best places for a cup.
- Melbourne is also famous for its street art. The city has designated certain areas as free zones for artists, and local talent do their best to outdo each other with the color and inventiveness of their graffiti. You’ll see street art everywhere, and you can even take a street art tour to see some of the best examples.
- Explore the laneways of the city center to find some of Melbourne's most interesting shops and bars. You can pick up maps of the famous laneways at the visitor center and lose yourself in these narrow and quirky streets.
Melbourne city lockers
Melbourne is a great city to explore on foot. Whether you're wandering the laneways or exploring the street art, you won't want to carry more than you need to. Drop off any heavy bags at a Melbourne bag storage so you can travel light and see more of this intriguing city.
Off the beaten path in Melbourne
Melbourne is a city that has something to offer everyone. And away from the more popular tourist areas, you'll find plenty of interesting places well worth exploring. Step off the beaten path and see a whole new side to this Australian gem.
- Melbourne has the biggest Greek district of any city outside Athens. Explore the Greek diaspora in Melbourne’s Greek precinct. You’ll find the Hellenic museum and stores selling Greek products, plus no end of excellent Greek restaurants to enjoy.
- Catch a game of cricket at the Melbourne Cricket ground, also known as the MCG. Calling itself Australia's favorite stadium, this is in many ways the heart of the sports-mad city. Even if you're not a cricket fan, catching a game is a classic Australian pastime. The stadium is also home to the Australian Gallery of Sport, a museum dedicated to Australian sporting prowess.
- Explore the darker side of early Australian history at Old Melbourne Gaol. This prison operated from 1842 to 1929 and was an execution site for Ned Kelly and many of Australia's other most infamous criminals. Naturally, the museum is reported to be haunted, and you can even take a ghost tour of this spooky attraction.
What to do alone in Melbourne
Melbourne is a fantastic city to explore by yourself. Friendly locals are proud of the city and are happy to welcome visitors to town. Whether you're visiting for a solo vacation or a business trip, you won't struggle to keep yourself occupied in this vibrant town.
- Visit the Queen Victoria markets to sample some of the best produce Melbourne has to offer. The impressive building was opened in 1878, and it remains the beating heart of the city. It's the ideal place to try some of the best food in the city and pick up gifts for those back home.
- Admire the art of Australia's aboriginal people at the Ian Potter Museum of Art. The rich cultural life of Australian aborigines has been criminally ignored until recent times but is currently enjoying a new appreciation in Australian culture. Drop off any heavy bags at a Melbourne luggage storage locker before you visit, since large bags are not allowed.
- Head to St Kilda to see some of Melbourne's cutest residents. This beach town just outside Melbourne is a great place to relax and enjoy the resort atmosphere. But it's best known for its colony of penguins that can be seen regularly on the breakwater.
The best souvenirs in Melbourne
Australia is a country that never takes itself too seriously. You'll find cheesy Aussie-themed souvenirs such as boomerangs and cork hats in any souvenir store in the country. But if you're looking for something a bit more interesting, Melbourne has that too. Any grocery store in Melbourne will sell you a jar of Vegemite, the unique vegetable sandwich spread that has become an icon of Australia. For something more high-end, opals are Australia's national gemstone, and the country produces 95 percent of the world's opal supply. Pick up some of these gorgeous stones at Lightning Ridge Opal Mines. Or for something a little more down-to-earth, grab an AFL Guernsey, a replica of the shirts worn by Australian football league players.