If you’re a music lover, Memphis is probably already on your bucket list. If it isn’t, it should be. The birthplace of rock and roll has seen many a famous artist come through its streets, including the likes of Elvis Presley and Johny Cash. Even if you aren’t into music, the city exudes a soul that will embrace you from the moment you arrive. With a thriving nightlife and interesting history based on the Civil Rights Movement, you’ll be sure to enjoy the city just as much as the music fans. You never know - you just might leave with a greater appreciation for music too!
A weekend in Memphis
Only got a weekend in Memphis? No problem. There’s plenty you can squeeze into a short itinerary so that you feel like you’ve seen and experienced the best the city has to offer. To save time and maximize exploring, we recommend using a suitcase storage in Memphis if you find yourself stuck with your bags. You might be faced with a late check-in or an early check-out before your flight, but either way, you won’t want to waste a second. Using Bounce is easy and it will take care of your things so you can hit the town.
Here are a couple of things you won’t want to miss on a weekend away in Memphis:
- Graceland - Possibly the most famous landmark in Memphis, Graceland is not to be missed. Once the home of the King of Rock and Roll (aka Elvis Presley), this property is full of interesting exhibitions outlining the artist’s history. Join a guided tour for lots of fun facts and make sure to visit the gift shop.
- Beale Street - This is where you will find all of the action. Beale Sreet is a thriving strip of bars, culture, and excellent food. Make sure you check it out when you are in Memphis.
- Sun studio - see the record studio where a teenage Elvis Presley changed the history of music forever. Sun studio occupies a legendary place in the history of popular music.
As travelers, we all know the frustration of being stuck with our bags. It might be due to a stopover or late check-in, but either way, it’s hugely inconvenient. Bounce is a luggage storage service in Memphis that caters specifically to tourists, taking care of your bags in these tricky situations so you don’t waste any of your vacation time. All you need to do is check in your things, go about your adventure, then collect your items when it works with your itinerary.
Off the beaten path in Memphis
Memphis is undoubtedly a city with many layers. Given its history, it would be impossible for there not to be hidden corners that tell a different tale. If only the streets could talk! To experience a different side of Memphis for yourself, try to seek out these hidden gems.
- Silky O’Sullivans - This bar is located on the popular Beale Street so it’s quite possible that you would stumble across it anyway, although there’s a good chance you would keep walking and miss the main attraction: beer-drinking goats. This Irish pub has two four-legged residents that live on the patio and add to the overall fun atmosphere of the place.
- Pink Palace - This mansion is filled with an array of weird and wacky items. From a taxidermied polar bear to a shrunken head, you’ll have to visit yourself to see exactly what you can find.
- Peabody Hotel – this hotel is famous for the daily march of the ducks that has taken place for nearly a century now. The ducks live on the hotel’s roof and every day march down the red carpet to spend the day in the lobby fountain.
What to do alone in Memphis
Memphis is a relatively safe city that can absolutely be explored on your own. It has all of the tourist facilities you need to get around comfortably and there’s even suitcase storage in Memphis if you find yourself stuck with your luggage.
Whether you are in town on business or a leisure trip, you’ll want to pay a visit to these attractions.
- National Civil Rights Museum - Learn all about Memphis’ role in the Civil Rights Movement at this museum. The informative exhibitions will act as a window in time as you wander through. It’s a great place to visit on your own as you will have time to reflect.
- Mud Island - With spectacular views of the Mississippi River, you will not be disappointed that visited Mud Island. It’s the perfect place for some fresh air and a stroll.
- Stax Museum of American Soul Music - Memphis is synonymous with rock ‘n’ roll, but the city is also played an important part in soul music. You can explore this unusual museum and music academy on your Memphis visit.
The best souvenirs in Memphis
If you’re looking for some souvenirs or gifts, it makes sense to go straight to the heart of Memphis. Beale Street has souvenir stores that offer a diverse range of products so there’s a good chance you’ll be able to pick up something for everyone. Alternatively, the gift shops at the major attractions offer specialized and unique options that are a good way to remember your trip.