Minneapolis Visitor Guide 2023: Everything you need to know
Sat overlooking the Mississippi River is the sweeping metropolis of Minneapolis. Twinned with state capital St Paul, Minneapolis is the largest city in Minnesota, with a population nearing 500,000. Minneapolis is known as the center for culture and commerce in Minnesota, with top attractions like the Mall of America and the Minneapolis Institute of Art. Minneapolis is also surprisingly great for getting outdoors, with an excellent park system and 13 lakes within the city limits.
Whether you're vacationing in The Twin Cities or just passing through, Bounce has you covered with secure and affordable lockers in Minneapolis. Drop your bags off with Bounce, and be free to explore the city without being weighed down by your suitcases.
A weekend in Minneapolis
Shopping, sightseeing, and sampling local delicacies are just a few of the best activities to plan while visiting Minneapolis for the weekend. And as the largest city in the state, you won't run out of things to do during your stay. Here are a few of the best things to do during your getaway in Minneapolis.
- Shop til you drop at the Mall of America. With over 500 stores, restaurants, and amenities, the Mall of America is one of the world's largest shopping malls.
- Meet your favorite cartoon characters at Nickelodeon Universe. An indoor amusement located within the mammoth Mall of America, Nickelodeon Universe boasts dozens of thrilling rides of all ages, including rollercoasters, carousels, and an adventure course.
- Grab a bite at one of the top restaurants in Minneapolis. Some of the best eateries across the Twin Cities include Martina, World Street Kitchen, and Pimento Jamaican Kitchen & Rum Bar.
- Admire the Mississippi River from the Stone Arch Bridge. Originally used as a railroad bridge, the Stone Arch Bridge provides some of the best views of the iconic river and Minneapolis' skyline.
While Minneapolis is easy to navigate on foot, it does have one of the highest crime rates of any city its size, so consider visiting a Minneapolis luggage storage service to keep your valuables safe while exploring the city. Bounce provides the best suitcase lockers in Minneapolis, with convenient and secure facilities dotted across the city. Just book through the Bounce app, and you'll find several services within walking distance, where you can unload your bags before going on a shopping spree at the Mall of America or touring one of the Twin City's top museums.
Off the beaten path in Minneapolis
Minneapolis has one of the best park systems in the U.S., so you shouldn't have any trouble finding a quiet spot to escape the hectic city streets. There's also plenty of lesser-known attractions in Minneapolis in case you fancy uncovering the city's hidden gems.
- Plan a bike ride through Minnehaha Regional Park. Among Minneapolis' most popular parks, Minnehaha Regional Park is known for the stunning 53-foot Minnehaha Falls, the perfect spot for a family photo.
- Make a splash at Lake Harriet. Covering over 330 acres, Lake Harriet draws visitors from across Minnesota looking to swim, fish, and sunbathe on the lake's beaches.
- Catch a show at the Guthrie Theater. One of Minneapolis' top venues, the Guthrie Theater boasts three stages that host some of the country's leading stage productions.
What to do alone in Minneapolis
If you're looking for something to do alone in Minneapolis, whether you're in between business meetings or killing time between layovers, you'll have tons of options. Keep your bags secure by checking in at a Minneapolis bag storage service, and then head to one of these attractions suited to solo travelers.
- Discover world-class artwork at the Minneapolis Institute of Art. Home to over 90,000 artworks, the Minneapolis Institute of Art displays paintings by the likes of Vincent van Gogh, Paul Signac, and El Greco.
- Stroll through the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden. This 11-acre park is one of the largest of its kind in the country, with around 40 contemporary installations to appreciate.
- Come face-to-face with monsters from the deep at Sea Life. Housed within the Mall of America, Sea Life is the largest aquarium in the state, with a 1.3 million-gallon underwater tunnel containing everything from sea turtles to sharks.
The best souvenirs in Minneapolis
After taking a tour of the Twin Cities, you'll probably want to pick out the perfect memento to remember your trip. You'll find lots of fun and unique souvenirs in Minneapolis that are perfect as gifts or to place on your mantle. Looking for something cute and typically Minneapolis? Pick up a Minnesota passport that contains pictures of all the best sights in the city. These passports can be found at numerous gift shops across the Twin Cities.
If you're looking for something handmade or unique, stop by Gallery 360 and pick up a painting by a local artist or some homemade jewelry. If you're stuck for time during your trip, pop into one of the gift shops at the city's top attractions and pick up a print of your favorite painting or plushie of your favorite cartoon character.