India's second city, Mumbai, is at the heart of the country's modern culture. The capital of the western coastal state of Maharashtra, Mumbai is home to Bollywood, the renowned center of the Bollywood film industry, attracting visitors worldwide. Coupled with the city's booming economy, Mumbai is the largest commercial city in India, responsible for 70% of the country's transactions and port trade.
Originally home to the Koli people, Mumbai was taken over by the Portuguese Empire and then the British Empire. The British East Indian Trading Company helped develop Mumbai into an essential trading port and also vastly improved the city's infrastructure. Following Indian independence, the city's name changed from Bombay to Mumbai and was named the capital of the newly formed state of Maharashtra.
Today, Mumbai affords travelers the chance to discover some of India's most famous landmarks while also experiencing one of the fastest developing cities in the modern world.
A weekend in Mumbai
Experiencing everything Mumbai has to offer in a weekend is tough; however, there are several attractions that shouldn't be missed in India's City of Dreams. Drop your bags off at a Mumbai luggage locker, then check out these top attractions.
- Snap a selfie at the Gateway of India. One of India's top monuments, the Gateway of India was built to celebrate King George V and Queen Mary's first visit to the country in 1911.
- Learn about local history at the Elephanta Caves. Situated on Elephanta Island, this UNESCO World Heritage Site consists of stone carvings of Hindu and Buddhist deities dating back to the 5th century.
- Go for a night out along Marine Drive. Perfect for a seaside stroll, this promenade is close to many superb restaurants, including Gaylord, Dome, and Samrat Veg.
- Plan a family day out at EsselWorld. India's largest amusement park, EsselWorld is home to dozens of rides, including roller coasters, Ferris wheels, and teacup rides.
Mumbai is an old colonial city with poorly maintained footpaths or no sidewalks at all in certain areas. Petty theft is also common in Mumbai, so you may want to find somewhere to store your valuables to make exploring Bollywood a bit easier. To avoid lugging your cumbersome suitcases through tricky to traverse streets, find a nearby Mumbai luggage storage service. Bounce has several luggage lockers in Mumbai, where you can store your stuff securely before touring this fascinating city. Download the Bounce app today and see if you can find the perfect Mumbai luggage locker!
Off the beaten path in Mumbai
India is a gorgeous country, and anybody spending some time in Mumbai should get out and explore the nearby countryside. From parks to beaches, here are a few of the best ways to escape the city in Mumbai.
- Top up your tan at Girgaon Chowpatty. This public beach sits adjacent to Marine Drive and is great for relaxing or enjoying beach walks; however, swimming should be avoided due to pollution.
- Explore Indian mangrove forests at the Maharashtra Nature Park. Located along the Mithi River, the park features several shaded nature trails and is popular with birdwatchers.
- Go on a safari adventure at Sanjay Gandhi National Park. One of the most popular national parks in the world, the Sanjay Gandhi National Park, features a mini-zoo with big cats and the 2,400-year-old Kanheri caves.
What to do alone in Mumbai
On a soul-searching road trip across India? Or just in Mumbai on business? It's easy to find yourself alone in the City of Dreams, but it's not so easy to plan a solo itinerary. Keep your belongings safe by visiting a Mumbai suitcase storage service, and then consider visiting one of these top attractions for individuals.
- Tour the famed Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya. Mumbai's top museum, the Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya boasts a collection of over 50,000 relics and artworks with everything from 2nd-century Buddhist statues and 19th-century European oil paintings.
- Stop to admire the stunning Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus. Mumbai's main train station, the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, is one of Mumbai's most striking buildings with a blend of Indo-Saracenic and Gothic Revival architecture.
- Visit the home of one of India's most famous political figures at Mani Bhavan. Once the residence of Gandhi, Mani Bhavan is now a museum containing artifacts and exhibits, including Gandhi's bed and photographs from his childhood.
The best souvenirs in Mumbai
Searching for the perfect Mumbai memento? You'll find plenty of interesting trinkets to pick up during your travels in India. Mumbai is known for its vibrant traditional embroidery, which can be found on an array of clothing, including purses, footwear, and sarees. Local musical instruments such as tablas, sitars, and khartaals also make for unique souvenirs. If you'd prefer something temporary, stop and get a henna tattoo used in rituals and weddings.
8 Best Ways To Experience Mumbai In 2023
The streets of Mumbai are a mayhem of people and traffic. It's also a city that covers a vast area and getting from one to another of its famous landmarks can be a total nightmare if you're relying on public transport. Save yourself the stress and see it in comfort and style by using the top eight Mumbai tour companies listed below. They're all highly reputable and will make sure your visit to Mumbai is memorable for all the right reasons. And remember you can make your trip easier by dropping off your luggage at a Bounce luggage storage in Mumbai.
Best Private Tour – Mumbai Magic
Mumbai Magic Private Tours are a company who will adapt their city tours to suit you and your agenda. You choose what you want to see and they'll design the tour around them, making sure they optimize the time you have available. They'll also arrange special food-oriented tours for you too, so are a great choice if you want to investigate places like the busy Lalbagh Spice Market or the Matunga Market.
You can talk to Mumbai Magic about private tours by calling them on 91-986-770-7414 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Best Walking Tour – Khaki Tours
There's a lot to take in when you're in Mumbai and it's often better to do it in small doses or it can be somewhat overwhelming. Go on a two or four hour walking tour of Mumbai with Khaki Tours and you'll find it's just the right length of time to immerse yourself in the atmosphere of the city without drowning your senses with the noise and chaos.
Contact Khaki Tours to find out more about a walking tour of Mumbai by emailing them at email@example.com or give them a call on 91-882-810-0111 for more information.
Best Bus Tour – Mumbai Dream Tours
Take a break from ancient monuments, although you can do those too with this company, and get a glimpse of the glamour of Bollywood on a bus tour with Mumbai Dream Tours. First, you'll head out of the city to take a look at a variety of filming locations, then go to the studios to explore the costume department and see the actors doing their stuff during a live film session.
Find out more about Bollywood tours with Mumbai Dream Tours by emailing them at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 919004135215.
Best Combination Tour – Young Tours and Travel
If you have a short attention span or want to cram in as much as you can in one day, try one of the combination tours run by Young Tours and Travel. They mix and match locations so you won't get bored by being in one place too long. The Bollywood and Mumbai Slum tour is an interesting combination and so are the City and Elephanta Caves.
Enquire about a combination tour with Young Tours and Travel by emailing them email@example.com or alternatively, give them a call on 919699391155 for more details.
Best Night Tour – Bombay To Mumbai Tours
Mumbai is a city that shows a completely different face once night has fallen. It still stays warm though so the best way to go nightseeing in Mumbai is by sitting in the back of an air-conditioned car driven by a driver-guide from Bombay To Mumbai Tours. An after dark tour with Bombay To Mumbai Tours takes around six hours and there are lots of stops for tasting street food.
Get in touch with Bombay To Mumbai Tours about a nightseeing trip by emailing them at firstname.lastname@example.org or give them a call on 91-885-067-9127.
Best Shore Excursion – Amaze Tours
When you're on a cruise stopover in Mumbai your time will be limited, so go on a shore excursion organized by a company who understands that fact. Amaze Tours are specialists who know exactly how to maximize your Mumbai experience by taking you to all the best places on well-planned itineraries that will leave you both amazed at what you've seen and back on board well before it's time to up anchor and sail away to your next port of call.
Contact Amaze Tours about their shore excursions by calling 917798716460 or drop them an email at email@example.com for more information.
Best Food Tour – No Footprints
Mumbai has a lively food scene with bustling produce markets, street vendors, and all classes of restaurants from curry houses to Michelin-starred establishments. Investigate Mumbai's food scene in-depth by taking a walking tour with No Footprints. They offer a great choice of different tours that vary from early morning market visits to nighttime sojourns in the Bohri Mohalla district. They'll also walk you through the Worli Fishing Village which is one experience not to be missed.
Find out more about food tours with No Footprints by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 919029986969.
Best Bike Tour – Dynamic Mumbai
Whether you want a bike with pedals or one that has a 50cc engine you can get one from Dynamic Mumbai. Go it alone and there's a good chance you'll get lost, so join one of their tours which go to amazing places like the villages outside of Mumbai and into the countryside, and the caves of Shiva as well as around the inner city.
Start to plan your trip on two wheels with Dynamic Mumbai by using the contact form on their website or by calling them on 91-976-838-3027.