Windsor is a picturesque city located in Ontario, Canada. Based just across the river from the US city of Detroit, the city is known for being the ‘Automotive Capital of Canada’. Its history is rooted in the industrial and manufacturing industries, although today it has evolved to be so much more than business. Now, it is a bustling cultural hub that offers a diverse range of experiences for business and leisure travelers alike. With various festivals, a stunning waterfront, and impressive art galleries, you certainly won’t run out of things to do in Windsor.
A weekend in Windsor
Windsor is a fantastic place for a weekend getaway. It caters to a diverse range of tourists, offering something for the foodies, the history buffs, and those who enjoy sightseeing. It’s especially well suited for a short vacation because it has all of the facilities necessary for a hassle-free trip. This includes a good public transport system and a convenient luggage storage service in Windsor. After all, nobody wants to waste limited time being stuck with their bags!
If you’re wondering what the must-see attractions are in Windsor for your weekend trip, here are some suggestions.
- Ambassador Bridge - This bridge runs over the Detroit River, providing a connection between Canada and the USA. It’s a great spot to watch the sunset and there’s a park right next to it for a walk or a picnic.
- Adventure Bay Family Water Park - This indoor water park is perfect for some family fun. Boasting a range of pools and slides, everyone will enjoy a visit here!
- Windsor Riverfront - There is no better place to take in views of the Detroit skyline than the Windsor Riverfront. Wander down this stretch for some fresh air and amazing scenes.
One of the most inconvenient parts of traveling is handling luggage. We’ve all been stuck with our bags due to a stopover or late check-in time. The good news is that when you visit Windsor, you can avoid this scenario entirely! Bounce luggage storage lockers in Windsor will take care of your belongings so that you don’t have to.
Off the beaten path in Windsor
Looking to get off the beaten path during your visit to Windsor? The city offers some excellent hidden gems that are just waiting to be explored!
- Whiskey Tour - Many tourists aren’t aware but Windsor loves its whisky! Join a tour at one of the many distilleries to learn all about their whisky history and try some of the local spirits.
- Pelee Island - If you have the time, it’s definitely worth making the trip out to this island. Jump on the ferry and go enjoy the beach views!
- University of Windsor - This isn’t something you see on a lot of Windsor bucket lists, but the grounds of this university are a great place for a wander.
What to do alone in Windsor
Windsor is a safe and charming city that makes a great destination for solo travelers. There’s plenty to see, plenty to do, and all of the facilities you need to make your trip comfortable. There’s even suitcase storage in Windsor for the times you get stuck with your bags but have nobody to watch them!
Wondering what to do when you are in town alone? Consider some of these attractions for a memorable visit to the city.
- Windsor Sculpture Park - This park is extremely beautiful all year round. Home to a collection of contemporary sculptures, it is worth a visit in the sun or snow.
- Art Gallery of Windsor - This institute is home to an impressive collection of artwork that will mesmerize all appreciators of art. It’s also worth a visit for the epic views of the city through the large glass windows!
- Jackson Park - With a huge variety of plants, there is no better way to enjoy some tranquillity than a visit to Jackson Park. If you’re there at Christmas time, make sure to check out the light show.
The best souvenirs in Windsor
Picking the perfect souvenir can be difficult, especially if it’s a gift for someone else. There are a few different options in Windsor depending on what you are looking for. For the whiskey lover, head to a local distillery and get some famous Windsor whiskey. There’s the Urban Art Market or gift shops at the art galleries if that’s more your thing, or Vintage Witch Shoppe if you are seeking something truly unique.