How it works
- STEP 1
Select the most convenient location for your needs
- STEP 2
Instantly reserve your space in a few clicks
- STEP 3
Drop off items
Head to the store and show your reservation
- STEP 4
Enjoy the city
Go about your day without lugging around your things
Royal Mile Luggage Storage Guide 2023Posted Feb 8, 2023
Are you wondering, "Where can I store my luggage near Royal Mile?" Perhaps you just arrived in Edinburgh and need a place to store your bags near Royal Mile before you check into your hotel or AirBnB -- or maybe you just checked out and don't want to drag your bags around with you for the rest of the day.
Perhaps, you're planning on shopping at The Centre, Waverley Mall, or Livingston Designer Outlet and need a place to store your bags. Or, you're planning on planning on at Burntisland Beach, Almondell Country Park, or Yellowcraigs Beach .
Don't worry, there are plenty of options for luggage storage near Royal Mile!
Luggage storage nearby Royal Mile with Bounce
Bounce is one of the largest luggage storage networks in Edinburgh with multiple locations near Royal Mile.
Featured in , Bounce is present in more than 100 cities. We partner with local hotels and shops to open up space for you to drop off your bags in essentially any major neighborhood.
Our team vets each location and provides all the security measures including insurance, security seals, and well-trained staff.
Bounce is the #1-rated bag storage network with thousands of 5-star reviews. Many of our shops are open for luggage storage 24/7 but this varies by location… we strategically open new spots so you can find the closest location to temporarily store your bags. Our prices in the Royal Mile area start at just £5.00 per 24h/bag.
Book through our or mobile app (required) so that we can cover you with insurance, space availability, and our 24/7 customer support. We love to travel as much as you so we make it as easy as possible! There are no size limits for suitcases or backpacks stored with Bounce. For less than a cup of coffee per bag, you can enjoy your entire day without dragging your bags with you!
Here are some ideas for making the most of your time in the Royal Mile area now that you are free from your baggage. Some notable places to relax before a flight are Heaven Scent Coffee Shop, Tesco Cafe, and Sainsbury's Café. You can also go for a hike around Loch Leven National Nature Reserve, West Lomond, and Water of Leith Walkway. And if you’re looking for a night on the town, check out Deacon Brodies Tavern, Edinburgh Gin Garden, and Brewhemia.
Why is Bounce the best luggage storage provider in the Royal Mile area?
✅Multiple locations near Royal Mile✅$10,000 Bounce Guarantee on each booking to protect your belongings✅Vetted store locations to ensure trust and safety✅2 minute booking process online or via mobile app, then just walk in and check your bags in✅Thousands of 5 star reviews, hundreds of thousands of bags stored
How do I store luggage near Royal Mile with Bounce?
You can find the closest luggage storage location to Royal Mile really easily. . Find the shop that meets your preferences in terms of location & hours. Once you’ve chosen a location, you can book in under 2 minutes.
Space does fill up so booking before you go there is required, but you can show up right away. With your booking confirmation in hand, we’ll give you the exact details and directions to the shop. Once there, all you have to do is show your booking confirmation and we’ll tag and check in your bags.
You’re now free to enjoy Royal Mile and Edinburgh without your things!
About the Royal Mile
The Royal Mile is a series of streets that runs through the historic heart of Scotland's capital. Made up of Castlehill, the Lawnmarket, the High Street, the Canongate, and Abbey Strand, the Royal Mile runs from Edinburgh Castle to Holyrood Palace. Almost exactly a mile in length, it connects to the most important sites in the city's history.
For this reason, the Royal Mile is one of the busiest streets in the city. It was first identified as the Royal Mile in 1901, but the streets it's composed of are far older. For instance, the High Street was laid out in the 16th century, and many of the surrounding streets are even older than that.
Because of its proximity to many of the city's main attractions, the Royal Mile is the center of the city's tourism industry. And it's not just the Mile itself. Many steep alleyways, known as closes, run off the Royal Mile and simply beg to be explored. With many of the city's most interesting pubs, restaurants, and attractions along its relatively short length, the Royal Mile is the perfect place to begin exploring the City of Edinburgh.
Things to do near the Royal Mile
Forming the heart of the historic Scottish capital, the Royal Mile isn't short of attractions. Many of the city's best-known sites are on this route. And as the heart of a vibrant and modern city, there's always something to do along the Royal Mile.
- Explore the history of Scotland at Edinburgh Castle. On a high hill at one end of the Royal Mile, the Castle is one of Edinburgh's top attractions. Learn about the wars that have shaped the city and enjoy unrivaled views of the surrounding countryside.
- Lose yourself at Edinburgh's World of Illusions. This unique attraction plays with your perceptions over five floors and is home to one of the UK's last remaining camera obscura, an ancient optical technology.
- See the spiritual heart of the city at St. Giles Cathedral. Founded in 1124, this ancient church is one of Scotland’s biggest and most impressive.
- Delve into the past at the Museum of Childhood. This quirky museum explores the history of toys and amusements for children through the ages. Plus, there are plenty of fun toys to play with on-site.
- Explore the lives of Scottish rulers at Holyrood. This former royal palace at the opposite end of the Royal Mile from the castle is still the official residence of the Queen when she's in Scotland. It is also home to the current Scottish Parliament.
Transit options near the Royal Mile
- Edinburgh International Airport is the biggest in Scotland and flies to destinations throughout the world. A dedicated tram service runs from the airport to the center of the city, stopping in Saint Andrew Square, just a few blocks north of the Royal Mile.
- Edinburgh's main train station, Waverley, is only a block from the Royal Mile. From here, you can catch trains to other cities throughout Scotland and all over the UK.
- Buses 2, 22, 31, and 100 travel along the Royal Mile. If you walk a block north to Princes street, you'll find more of the city's bus routes there.
Luggage storage near the Royal Mile
As an area that's relatively short in distance but rich in attractions, the Royal Mile practically begs to be walked. Exploring on foot will let you experience the quirky charm of the street and the alleyways that radiate from it, allowing you to chart your own course through the historic heart of the city. You can make things easier on yourself by dropping off your bags at a Bounce luggage storage shop first. No matter how many bags you have or how long you need them looked after, Bounce can help you find a luggage storage locker near the Royal Mile so you can explore Edinburgh more easily.
Activities and attractions near the Royal Mile
- Mary King's Close: Explore the historic underground of Edinburgh at Mary King's Close. This ancient street was buried during reconstruction of the city, with the result that the old houses are fully preserved. It's about the closest thing you'll find to a time machine and is the perfect way to see how Edinburgh used to be back in the 17th century. A guided tour will explain the historical significance of the buildings and the lives people lived in them before they were buried. The close can only be explored by walking, so make sure you drop off heavy bags at an Edinburgh luggage storage before you visit.
- National Museum of Scotland: Learn more about the world at the National Museum of Scotland. This huge Museum explores the history not only of Scotland but of various cultures around the world. There is an impressive natural history collection and a variety of objects from the Industrial Revolution, in which Scotland played an important role. You could spend an entire day in the halls of this vast museum and still not see everything it has to offer. Note that large bags are not permitted inside the museum, so make sure you drop them off at an Edinburgh luggage storage before you go.
- Arthur's seat: Get above it all at Arthur's seat. Located just outside the old heart of the city, this high hill is now a park where you can stretch your legs and take in the stunning Scottish scenery. It also gives you impressive views back over the city and its Castle, making it the ideal place for photos of your trip. Don't forget to leave your bags behind at a Royal Mile luggage storage service so that you're not weighed down unnecessarily.
Get the Bounce App on your phone
Other places near Royal Mile
Frequently asked questions
How much does it cost to store luggage near Royal Mile?
The price for luggage storage near Royal Mile is just £5.00/bag for the entire day.
Where can I store luggage near Royal Mile?
There are multiple locations in the Royal Mile area which can be booked through the Bounce platform including near Linlithgow Railway Station (LIN), Drem Railway Station, and Fife Airport and all over Edinburgh.
Is it safe to store your bags near Royal Mile?
Yes. Every bag is tagged with a security seal and comes with the $10,000 Bounce Guarantee. Every location is required to uphold tight security precautions. You may be asked to show ID and you will be required to use a credit card to book through Bounce in advance. With hundreds of thousands of bags stored, you can count on Bounce to handle your baggage near Royal Mile.
Are there storage lockers near Royal Mile?
Yes, there are storage lockers and many other luggage drop off points in the Royal Mile area. Bounce has multiple luggage storage locations nearby Royal Mile and in the broader Edinburgh area where you can conveniently store your luggage with full security and the $10,000 safekeeping guarantee.
Where are the best hotel accommodations near Royal Mile?
The top-ranked middle to high-range hotels near Royal Mile are The Balmoral Hotel, Hilton Edinburgh Carlton, and Edinburgh University Pollock Halls. When traveling on a budget, the best hostels near Royal Mile are Castle Rock Hostel, Syha, and CoDE Pod Hostels - the CoURT.
Where are the best restaurants near Royal Mile?
The most popular restaurants to visit when near Royal Mile are McDonald's and YO! Sushi.
Where are the best parks and nature attractions near Royal Mile?
Check out the nearby The Meadows, Leith Links, and Holyrood Park.