Durham Visitor Guide 2023: Everything you need to know
Durham, North Carolina, might be known as the ‘City of Medicine’ for its extensive healthcare industry, but don’t let that fool you! The city is also an excellent tourist destination, offering a vibrant city center, cultural diversity, and an array of attractions to fill your stay. Once a predominantly working-class city, the urban landscape has been transformed in recent times. Today, it is a mecca for everything hip, attracting a younger and more diverse crowd than ever before.
A weekend in Durham
Durham is a perfect destination for a short getaway. Whether you are a business or leisure traveler, you will find a range of enjoyable activities in this charming city. If you’re looking for somewhere to store suitcases in Durham so you can hit the ground running, check them into a luggage storage facility. They’ll be kept safe and you won’t have to waste a moment of your weekend.
Here are some must-see attractions in Durham if you are only in town for a limited time.
- Sarah P. Duke Gardens - This beautiful site is the perfect spot for some fresh air in a great location. With a Japanese garden, an English garden, and various other gardens, you’ll be mesmerized for hours.
- Museum of Life and Science - This museum is hugely interactive, providing fun for all ages. Expect an entertaining visit that will get your mind thinking.
- Eno River State Park - Love the outdoors? Make your way to Eno River State Park for camping, hiking, or fishing!
As travelers, we all know the inconvenience of carting luggage around. The worst is when we get stuck with our bags during a stopover or because of late check-in or early check-out. Well, Bounce is here to answer our problems. Use one of their luggage storage lockers in Durham so you won’t have to be stuck with your bags at all during your trip. The service is safe, flexible, and available to take care of your things when you can’t - what’s not to love?
Off the beaten path in Durham
Looking to see a different side of Durham? This city has some unique attractions that don’t always make common tourist itineraries. Consider checking these places out for an entirely different experience of the city.
- The Can Opener - This is one of those quirky US attractions that you should see if you’re in Durham. The trestle bridge was built too low and still causes a problem for many trucks and tall vehicles.
- V & E Simonetti Historic Tuba Collection - If you’re a music lover, you will want to visit this unique attraction. V & E Simonetti have a fascinating collection of tubas, dating back to 1910.
- Bennett Place - This farm was the site of an important surrender at the end of the American Civil War. Check out the museum to learn more about the city’s history.
What to do alone in Durham
Durham is a relatively safe city, making it perfect for solo travelers. Whether you are in Durham on business or for a solo adventure, there are plenty of places to meet people and plenty to keep you occupied. Here are some ideas to get you inspired:
- Duke Lemur Center - Animals lovers will be delighted with a trip to the 85-acre lemur sanctuary. It’s the largest sanctuary for the species in the world and the tour is highly informative.
- Falls Lake State Recreation Park - Get outdoors with a visit to Falls Lake State Recreation Park. You can go hiking, fishing, or take a picnic and enjoy the serenity.
- Nasher Art Museum - Boasting over 10,000 pieces of art, there’s no better place to spend a reflective afternoon on your own. The collections are regularly rotated so there is always something new to see.
The best souvenirs in Durham
Finding the perfect souvenir is no easy feat. You want something that you’ll actually enjoy, but is also a good reminder of your fantastic trip. The good news is that Durham has a range of options when it comes to souvenir shopping and remember, if you overdo the retail therapy, you can always store them in a luggage locker in Durham until you’re ready to head back to your accommodation!
For the animal lover, check out the gift shop at the Duke Lemur Center. There are lots of options centered around this cute, furry creature. Stylish Living is a great option for beautiful homewares, jewelry, or other gift items, while Chet Miller offers all of your typical souvenirs like caps, tea towels, and key chains.