Toulouse Visitor Guide 2023: Everything you need to know
Toulouse is a big city located in the Occitainie region of France. It’s known for being the biggest air industry hub in all of Europe, which has also contributed to the city becoming the fourth largest in France. Aside from its commercial reputation in the air industry, Toulouse is a great place for tourists to visit. The pretty streets will have you wanting to get out and explore, while the food markets will tantalize and satisfy your tastebuds. Whether you find yourself in Toulouse for business or pleasure, you are guaranteed to enjoy the French culture and local attractions.
A weekend in Toulouse
A short trip to Toulouse might be exactly what you need. This bustling French city might be known for its role in the air industry, but it also boasts everything that is to be loved about France: great food, great culture, and great architecture. If you are in town for a weekend or short getaway, don’t waste a second. Make the most of local facilities like luggage storage in Toulouse so that you don’t get delayed by a late check-in. Trust us when we say you’ll want to begin your little adventure as soon as you arrive!
If you’re looking for the must-visit attractions in Toulouse, here are some you won’t want to miss:
- Basilique Saint-Sernin de Toulouse - This impressive 11th Century church offers stunning architecture that will have you mesmerized. You won’t want to miss this UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Cite de l-Espace - Opened in 1997, this museum will educate on everything to do with space and the universe. An interesting and educational way to spend a few hours.
- Place du Capitol - This classic building is the City Hall, which hosts a range of events such as the opera. See if you can get tickets to one of these events, or you might be lucky enough to time your visit for the markets which occur just outside the building.
There’s nothing worse than being on a vacation and finding yourself stuck with your bags. Sometimes it an inconvenient check-out, other times it’s a stopover. Whatever the case, there’s no getting around the fact that it’s a pain. Bounce offers bag storage in Toulouse so you never have to face this problem. Simply drop your belongings at a secure storage facility and you can be on your way! The service caters specifically to tourists so you can pick your things up whenever it works with your itinerary.
Off the beaten path in Toulouse
Sometimes the best experiences can be found away from the crowds and main tourist haunts. Toulouse has an array of hidden gems, so if you are looking to get off the beaten path check these out!
- L’Entrecote - You’re in France so you might as well get some authentic French food! This restaurant is perfect for some delicious French cuisine.
- Lauragais - This region is located just 25 minutes from Toulouse but it’s an area not often visited by tourists. You’ll be rewarded with excellent views of the Pyrenees.
- Little Crushed Man – inside the church of the Jacobins, a strange carving of a man crushed beneath the pillar hides behind the burial place of St. Thomas Aquinas. No one knows why this statue was made, but it’s a great photo op and a little-known side of Toulouse.
What to do alone in Toulouse
If you find yourself in Toulouse on your own, there’s a whole range of activities suited for solo travelers. Check your bags into a Bounce luggage locker in Toulouse if you have nowhere to keep your things and hit the city streets!
- Pont Neuf - This beautiful bridge should not be missed. Take a stroll across it and soak up the views.
- Musee des Augustins - For some exceptional fine art, head to Musee des Augustins. You’ll be rewarded with masterpieces from the Middle Ages to the 1940s.
- George’s Bemberg’s Foundation - There’s no shortage of good art in France, but George’s Bemberg’s Foundation is another great place to see some high-quality pieces. The building itself is also beautiful.
The best souvenirs in Toulouse
Looking for some souvenirs or gifts to take home to loved ones? Toulouse has a number of options when it comes to souvenir shopping. Mackerel Tolousa is a classic souvenir shop stocking all of the classic items and trinkets you’d expect. StadeToulousaine also offers souvenirs, along with rugby merchandise and fashion items. For homewares, head to Officine Graine De Pastel or Laguiole Boutique. There are also many vintage stores that will help you find some unique bargains.