How it works
- STEP 1
Select the most convenient location for your needs
- STEP 2
Instantly reserve your space in a few clicks
- STEP 3
Drop off items
Head to the store and show your reservation
- STEP 4
Enjoy the city
Go about your day without lugging around your things
Alfama Luggage Storage Guide 2023Posted Feb 2, 2023
Are you wondering, "Where can I store my luggage near Alfama?" Perhaps you just arrived in Lisbon and need a place to store your bags near Alfama before you check into your hotel or AirBnB -- or maybe you just checked out and don't want to drag your bags around with you for the rest of the day.
Perhaps, you're planning on shopping at Ralph Lauren, Centro Comercial Alegro Setúbal, or Fórum Montijo and need a place to store your bags. Or, you're planning on planning on at Praia da Costa da Caparica, Praia de Carcavelos, or Baía de Cascais .
Don't worry, there are plenty of options for luggage storage near Alfama!
Luggage storage nearby Alfama with Bounce
Bounce is one of the largest luggage storage networks in Lisbon with multiple locations near Alfama.
Featured in , Bounce is present in more than 100 cities. We partner with local hotels and shops to open up space for you to drop off your bags in essentially any major neighborhood.
Our team vets each location and provides all the security measures including insurance, security seals, and well-trained staff.
Bounce is the #1-rated bag storage network with thousands of 5-star reviews. Many of our shops are open for luggage storage 24/7 but this varies by location… we strategically open new spots so you can find the closest location to temporarily store your bags. Our prices in the Alfama area start at just €5.00 per 24h/bag.
Book through our or mobile app (required) so that we can cover you with insurance, space availability, and our 24/7 customer support. We love to travel as much as you so we make it as easy as possible! There are no size limits for suitcases or backpacks stored with Bounce. For less than a cup of coffee per bag, you can enjoy your entire day without dragging your bags with you!
Here are some ideas for making the most of your time in the Alfama area now that you are free from your baggage. Some notable places to relax before a flight are Cabo da Roca, Miradouro de São Pedro de Alcântara, and Miradouro de Santa Luzia. You can also go for a hike around Paredão de Cascais, Passeio Marítimo de Belém, and Parque Linear Ribeirinho do Estuario do Tejo. And if you’re looking for a night on the town, check out LX Factory, Ribeira das Naus - Quiosque, and Heineken Grand Café.
Why is Bounce the best luggage storage provider in the Alfama area?
✅Multiple locations near Alfama✅$10,000 Bounce Guarantee on each booking to protect your belongings✅Vetted store locations to ensure trust and safety✅2 minute booking process online or via mobile app, then just walk in and check your bags in✅Thousands of 5 star reviews, hundreds of thousands of bags stored
How do I store luggage near Alfama with Bounce?
You can find the closest luggage storage location to Alfama really easily. . Find the shop that meets your preferences in terms of location & hours. Once you’ve chosen a location, you can book in under 2 minutes.
Space does fill up so booking before you go there is required, but you can show up right away. With your booking confirmation in hand, we’ll give you the exact details and directions to the shop. Once there, all you have to do is show your booking confirmation and we’ll tag and check in your bags.
You’re now free to enjoy Alfama and Lisbon without your things!
Lisbon is an old city, and Alfama is its oldest district. This was where Lisbon started, and during the Moorish occupation of Portugal in the 8th century, Alfama constituted the entire city of Lisbon. However, over the centuries, the city slowly grew and spread west. In time, the old houses of Alfama became the residences of fishermen and the poor people of the city.
The powerful earthquake that struck Lisbon in 1755 had mercifully little effect on this neighborhood. And the cobblestone streets and ancient buildings remained more or less intact, giving the neighborhood its historic charm today. During the Portuguese Age of Exploration, Alfama became a notorious district frequented by sailors and criminals. But in a way, this is partly what saved the neighborhood from development. More or less abandoned by the city planners who were busy reconstructing the rest of Lisbon, Alfama stayed just the way it was.
The growth of tourism in the late 20th century was a boon for this historically disadvantaged district. Suddenly, the old buildings, family-owned restaurants, ancient churches, and winding streets were highly desirable. Now, Alfama is one of Lisbon’s most popular areas with tourists. The moment you see it for yourself, you’ll understand why.
Things to do in Alfama
As the historic heart of Lisbon, Alfama encapsulates much of what makes the city so charming. This charismatic district is home to many of the city's most important historic buildings. And although nowadays it is geared toward tourists, it's still an extremely atmospheric place to visit.
- See the spiritual side of Lisbon at Se Cathedral. The oldest church in the city, this impressive monument, was built in 1147 and has survived earthquakes and the city's reconstruction for nearly a thousand years. The atmospheric interior is the perfect place to take a break from the heat and enjoy some peace and quiet.
- Explore Lisbon's secular power at the Sao Jorge Castle. The imposing walls of this fortress date back all the way to the Moorish occupation, and the castle has been pivotal in the history of the city and the country for centuries. An on-site museum will give you a crash course in Portuguese history, and the Castle Hill offers an enviable view over Lisbon.
- Pay tribute to some outstanding Portuguese personalities at the National Pantheon. This grand 17th-century building is the final resting place of Portuguese presidents, writers, explorers, and even legendary soccer players.
- Treat yourself to some thrills on the number 28 tram as it races through the narrow streets. Running right through central Lisbon, the iconic yellow tram will treat you to some magnificent views of the coast and let you see Lisbon like a local.
- Take some time to relax in Alfama's largest square at the Largo das Portas do Sol. Enjoy a stunning view over the rooftops of Lisbon as you sip a cool drink or enjoy a meal, and you'll understand exactly why Alfama remains one of Lisbon's most popular districts.
Transit options in Alfama
- Terreiro do Paco is the closest Metro station to Alfama. Situated on the south end of the neighborhood next to the water, it is served by line Az.
- The number 28 tram runs right through the heart of Alfama. As well as being a convenient way to get around, it's also a tourist attraction in its own right. That means it can get very busy in the summer months, so plan ahead. Tram 12E also serves much of the district.
- Bus line 737 winds its way through Alfama's narrow streets from the estuary to the castle. It's a good alternative to the tram in the busy summer months.
Luggage storage in Alfama
As a neighborhood that long predates the car, Alfama was made to be walked around. And today, that's still the best way to experience the unique charm of this historic neighborhood for yourself. However, Lisbon is a hilly city, and climbing Alfama's steep streets in the summer sun can quickly get tiring.
Make things easier on yourself by leaving heavy luggage with a Bounce partner in Alfama. No matter how big your bags are, Bounce can help you find somewhere you can drop them off to be safely looked after. Go see the sights and come back whenever you're ready to pick up your belongings again.
Activities and attractions near Alfama
- The Fado Museum: Fado is a uniquely Portuguese artform. These traditional songs are hauntingly beautiful, and Alfama is one of the best places in the world to experience them. The Fado Museum in Alfama can help you understand more about the history and traditions wrapped up in this music. But really, the best way to experience it for yourself is to visit a Fado bar. Luckily, Alfama has plenty to choose from. Grab a drink and take in this quintessentially Portuguese tradition.
- Belem Tower: The Fado MuseumSee the ancient defenses of the city at the Belem Tower. Built to defend the port in the 16th century, this tower was the point of departure for explorers and profiteers that carried Portuguese culture and influence around the world during the Age of Exploration. Now, the tower allows you to climb the steep stairs up to the roof and enjoy sweeping views of the Atlantic Ocean. This historic tower is no place for heavy bags, so make sure you leave yours at a luggage storage facility in Alfama before you visit.
- Lisbon aquarium: Take a journey into the sea at the Lisbon aquarium. Located close to the city, this state-of-the-art facility is home to sharks, jellyfish, turtles, and other residents of the deep. Don't miss the regular feedings, and learn more about the aquatic life not just of the Portuguese coastline, but of the whole world. Large bags aren't allowed inside, so be sure to leave yours at a luggage storage shop near Alfama before you go.
Get the Bounce App on your phone
Other places near Alfama
Frequently asked questions
How much does it cost to store luggage near Alfama?
The price for luggage storage near Alfama is just €5.00/bag for the entire day.
Where can I store luggage near Alfama?
There are multiple locations in the Alfama area which can be booked through the Bounce platform including near Sintra Train Station (Estação Ferroviária de Sintra), Estação Ferroviária de Queluz-Belas, and Terminal 1 and all over Lisbon.
Is it safe to store your bags near Alfama?
Yes. Every bag is tagged with a security seal and comes with the $10,000 Bounce Guarantee. Every location is required to uphold tight security precautions. You may be asked to show ID and you will be required to use a credit card to book through Bounce in advance. With hundreds of thousands of bags stored, you can count on Bounce to handle your baggage near Alfama.
Are there storage lockers near Alfama?
Yes, there are storage lockers and many other luggage drop off points in the Alfama area. Bounce has multiple luggage storage locations nearby Alfama and in the broader Lisbon area where you can conveniently store your luggage with full security and the $10,000 safekeeping guarantee.
What public transportation exists near Alfama?
Popular metro stations like Metro Odivelas, Metro Aeroporto (Metro Aeroporto [VM]), or Campo Grande - Metro can be used for nearby transit. When traveling within Lisbon near Alfama, you may be close to some bus stations: Terminal Rodoviário de Sete Rios, Terminal Rodoviário da Gare do Oriente, or Terminal TST - Gare do Oriente. If traveling by train, Cais do Sodré Train Station (Estação Ferroviária do Cais do Sodré), Entrecampos Train Station (Estação Ferroviária de Entrecampos), and Rossio Train Station (Estação Ferroviária do Rossio) are nearest to Alfama.
Where are the best hotel accommodations near Alfama?
The top-ranked middle to high-range hotels near Alfama are Hotel Mundial, Four Seasons Hotel Ritz Lisboa, and Pestana Palace Hotel & National Monument. When traveling on a budget, the best hostels near Alfama are Home Lisbon Hostel, Fonte Luminosa, and Sunset Destination Hostel.
Where are the best restaurants near Alfama?
The most popular restaurants to visit when near Alfama are Dom Pastel, Pastéis de Belém, and o Mercado.
Where are the best parks and nature attractions near Alfama?
Check out the nearby Parque Eduardo VII, Jardim do Campo Grande, and Parque da Fonte Luminosa.